{Site currently under construction. Grace for my mess?}

Monday, February 6, 2012

Laughter and a Million Joys to Find




Sometimes, the hard plastic bench at a fast food joint with free Wi-Fi and sweet coffee feels like a soft bed… a peaceful retreat.

I headed out early this morning for some hours without little people, and I'm chuckling ironic at the flood of lunch-hour teenagers that surround me here.  Seems I can't escape, but as I listen to the laughter, I'm spurred back to life and I remember myself at that age, how easy it was to find things to be happy about, when the weight of the world was crushing around me and yet, I carried a tin lunch box and wore plaid golf pants just because it made me smile, and time spent with a handful of friends could cause uproarious laughter.  I wonder how long it's been since I laughed that hard. 

I wonder when I became a grown-up.

And in the cackle of this social experiment otherwise known as lunch break, when I can breathe in long and deep the aroma of French fries without any tiny hands on me, that I nearly want to crack a wide smile and remember that there are a million sources of joy to be had… that one only has to be aware.

I catalog… those million joys…those thousand gifts…and count them, one by one, with Ann.

-- Errands and writing time all by myself this morning, a chance to breathe
-- Getting a doctor's appointment at the last minute
-- A few more things to try on the way to wellness
-- Having health insurance
-- Beautiful sunny weather that excites me for spring
-- Lung-fuls of clean air
-- A fun new photo app on my phone
-- A lazy SuperBowl gathering at moms
-- Sweet potatoes
-- The rest of the day off, feeling well enough to catch up on housework
-- Toddler kisses, in high supply these days
-- Open windows, breezy days
-- Finishing Genesis in my in-depth study, moving on to Exodus
-- My 'Keep Calm and Love Mercy' bag from Relevant, with proceeds to The Mercy House
-- My blog reader, a ready source for inspiration and encouragement always at the ready, always ready to fill me up
-- Mt. McLaughlin, snow-capped in my rearview, blinding and beautiful
-- Comfort in cast-offs
-- A tax refund to come, this week
-- Free Wi-fi
-- Things I'm free to release from my life, and more to come on that, dear readers
-- Laughing teenagers, an inspiration to smile
-- The longing that returns me to the Word, over and over to fill my cup and then some
-- Losing track of time

3 comments:

  1. love your list. . . and  i have to say i love my blog reader, too :-)
    have a blessed week!
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Cara! So glad you found a little time and were able to soak it in. Love ya, friend! 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I am sorry that I never answered you back today about chatting this afternoon...it was one of those "out of it" days. I am really interested in the new things that you are going to be trying on your road to wellness....Hope we can try again soon! Love to you!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are such an encouragement. Thank you for sharing your valuable words.