{Site currently under construction. Grace for my mess?}

Thursday, February 3, 2011

You can't win 'em all

Anyone that's ever taken the time to make/create/upcycle/redo something knows that not every bright idea comes out quite as wonderful as the initial plan.  Because I think those "fail" projects are good for the soul to share... here's my latest version.

I love anything with letters and numbers -- I'm a word girl (in case the tattoo on my wrist that says "write" didn't give me away).  I've had this computer armoire sitting around forever.  The thing's had a variety of different lives -- computer desk, crafting station, sewing table, man cave bar, homeschool central, and currently big piece of furniture to stash all the clutter I can't find a place for.  TMI?

(See my hideous carpet?  I know I mention it in just about every post, but... it's just that bad). And the photos in this post will be horrible -- this room has no windows whatsoever and fluorescent lights that make photo-taking difficult at best.

Anyway, I took some chipboard I had laying around from a grab bag I purchased last year at CHA.

Picked out a variety of letters in different fonts/shapes/sizes, and painted half of them silver and half gold, with metallic craft paint.

 
And attached them to the inlaid doors of the computer armoire.  That sounds waaaay simpler than the task wound up being, since I could simply not find any type of glue that would keep the letters in place.  Hot glue dried too quickly, the letters were too heavy for liquid craft glue and the letters just slid downwards, tacky glue made the corners turn up when it dried, and on and on.  I finally got them pretty secure with glue-stick style craft glue, but this was no easy task, since the glue caught in all the corners and each letter needed to be cleaned with a Q-Tip.  Ugh. 

Here's the finished project:


Cute enough, but my husband and son both smirked at me when the saw it and after about 10 minutes, I decided it wasn't my thing.  I wound up removing all the letters and we're back at square one.

The funny thing is, those bare panel doors don't bother me nearly as much anymore.  Hah!  Since I'll be moving this into my neutral/peaceful master bedroom redo, I think it will do just fine as is.  Somehow, I still see myself hot gluing burlap to the doors or something, but I think for now, good enough is good enough.  

Now, go check out my not-so-fail-riffic dresser dress up project in my last post.  That one came out great! 

Linking to:  Typography challenge at:
Visit thecsiproject.com


2 comments:

  1. That is awesome! Very clever idea. Not sure if you read on my post about the newbie linky party. My first one last week had over 100 participants. Hope to see you there!!~

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! Very clever idea. Not sure if you read on my post about the newbie linky party. My first one last week had over 100 participants. Hope to see you there!!~

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are such an encouragement. Thank you for sharing your valuable words.