{Site currently under construction. Grace for my mess?}

Thursday, October 20, 2011

I blog for {you}


Have you had days when you wondered whether blogging was worth the effort?

I have.



As a busy working mom with a to-do list a mile long and an insatiable need to scratch my creative itch by writing (not to mention an emotional complex having me feeling guilty for every single moment I spend being nonproductive), I can get around to wondering whether the time I spend blogging is maybe, a tad bit… wasted.

I don’t have a million readers, and as of yet, WhimsySmitten hasn’t earned a nickel.  I’m often too busy to be completely “plugged in” to the blog world, and there are plenty of days when blogging doesn’t “pay off” for me the way it does for some more devoted bloggers out there.

But all this Relevant hooplah on my mind, watching the feeds and allowing my excitement to make me giddy, reminds me why I do this.

I do not blog for money.  I do not blog for stats.  I do not blog to get noticed, to make a name for myself, or because I have anything life-changing to say to anyone.

I blog for community.  I blog to reach across wires and space to tangle up inside your heart and head.  I blog so you’ll know, so I’ll know, that we’re all in this mess together, and to spotlight some of the beautiful moments on the journey, and some of the darker ones, too.  I blog because I love it more than laundry.  I blog to make sense of it all.  I blog because, along the way, I’ve discovered that you and I…we’re a lot more alike than different, and we’re all just trying to do our best and gather some wisdom as we go.

I don’t always have time to keep up with my blog subscriptions, but when I carve out time to read, in a matter of minutes or hours, I am transported to a world of kindred spirits, of creative inspiration and words that challenge my faith.  I am among friends…friends who, like me, haven’t had a shower in two days and have grape jelly in their hair, who start more projects than they can ever dream of finishing and find immense comfort in a cup of hot coffee.  Friends who love words and love Jesus and love this invisible space in the universe where we bare all to the whole-wide-world and watch the love and fellowship pour down all around us.

I blog for you.

And your comments, knowing you’ve taken the time to read what I’ve put out here, makes me smile the kind of wide smile that means all is right with the world, because I’m able to connect with amazing, beautiful you.  

Thanks for reading, friend.  You are the reason I blog. 

10 comments:

  1. "I don’t always have time to keep up with my blog subscriptions, but when I carve out time to read, in a matter of minutes or hours, I am transported to a world of kindred spirits, of creative inspiration and words that challenge my faith. I am among friends ... ."

    Precisely. This is my first visit to your blog, but you have already captured exactly why I like to visit blogs and hear what others have to say. Thanks for the invite.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so good to know we're not alone in this journey.  And I really admire your ability to sum it all up - that you're doing this with intentionality - you know why you are & why you aren't blogging.  I think its all about the creative outlet for me, although I'm grateful for the community I'm discovering. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good perspective. I need to remind myself that frequently - in fact - had this same conversation in my head this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to know I'm in good company, Kim!  Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the kind words, Annie.  Isn't blogging a wonderful way to release creative energy, while also connecting with other people?  Thanks for coming by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for coming by, Tim.  I think those of us who follow blogs so often do so because it'she a wonderful sort of fellowship to have an open window into other people's lives and hearts. 

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you blog, and am smitten by your whimsy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy @ A Nest for All SeasonsOctober 25, 2011 at 6:17 AM

     I am reading and think your reasons for blogging are high class indeed girl!! 

    ReplyDelete
  9. You rock, Amy. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  10. *Giggles*. You rock, Jodi. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are such an encouragement. Thank you for sharing your valuable words.