{Site currently under construction. Grace for my mess?}

Friday, June 29, 2012

The Daily Dance




Haven't done much Five Minute Friday lately, but five minutes is about all I have these days, with the arrival of our two new foster babies, so here goes:

­--------------------------------------------------

We're in survival mode nearly all the time, eat, bathe, brush, hug, sleep, wash, rinse, repeat. Their hearts are big and mine is too, and we're getting through these days with grace and giggles, husband and I just sort of smiling each other as we pass. We'll get a rhythm, I know, but right now it is all a blur of cereal bowls and cartoon underpants, bedtime stories and child services offices and a plethora of missed phone calls and missed deadlines and deep, deep breaths. I don't know how people with three toddlers clean their house or take a shower and I'm afraid I haven't really learned yet. 

Somehow, it feels like a dance, dipping low for an embrace, a right spin through the kitchen on my tiptoes, a leap over laundry piles. I fall flat but tighten laces and get up again, spinning and spinning in concentration, spotting on the cross so I don't get dizzy. 

I pull Caleb from the bath and he stands shivering. "Wrap me and carry me?" he pleads as I wrap the towel around him. Yes... and all at once, this is my prayer. "Wrap me up, Father... cover me. Carry me. Hold me steady and take the lead in this dance. 


Linking up to Five Minute Friday at Lisa-Jo's. Today's prompt:  Dance. Join us?

Five Minute Friday

10 comments:

  1. Just said a prayer for you as you and your family learn this new dance. I loved the imagery of being wrapped up at the end. I needed that today more than you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from the 5 Minute Friday. Praying for you as God leads you through this dance. I too need to be wrapped up in His arms! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someday I hope to be in the dance of foster parenting. Praise the Lord he prompted you to open up your heart and your home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rhythm always comes eventually...and soon the challenges of everything being new and crazy will fade and you will find your new "normal". Keep giving all your anxieties to our strong heavenly Father, he bears them so much better than we do. ;) Thanks for sharing your heart in this well written post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I confess I've read several of your posts in the past:) You're such a gifted writer. Beautifully worded for a beautiful work. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes...wrap me Father please...I hear that prayer and join in the dance with you...even if just from afar.

    thinking of you often and praying for you....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look forward to foster parenting someday. Thank you for this beautiful, honest, grace-filled post :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh girl, I'm new to your blog, but I know this dance. We were blessed to adopt our first and last foster child. We intended to have many, but this dance has gone so unlike we expected. It is wonderful, wild grace! May you feel God's love wrapped tightly 'round as you continue the beautiful dance!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! Love your analogy to God holding us...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, yes, to be wrapped up with Him. Praying right now for your family.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are such an encouragement. Thank you for sharing your valuable words.